Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Greatest Sports Movies of All Time

When I was informed that Paul Newman had passed away the other day, I, like a few others I'm sure, said to myself, "wow, self, Reg Dunlop died."

After pausing for a moment of sadness, I couldn't help but blurt out, "Trade me right (censored) now!"
.
***Sidebar....yeah, I know. The dialogue in verbatum form is much more effective, but I agreed to a clause with this blog that prohibits certain things. Swearing is one of them. Sorry, you'll have to fill in the blanks.***

So, the process began to swirl in my head and internally, the great debate began.

What is the greatest sports movie of all time?

I'm sure you have your own list...............here is mine

1 - Slap Shot
.
This classic never gets old.

The Hanson Brothers, Ogie Oglithorpe, "old time hockey", "putting on the foil", this movie is my favorite sports movie of all time.

The scene when the Hansons take the ice for the first time had me laughing so hard I felt like I'd done 100 situps (trust me, I've never done that).

From the whacky, cross-dressing GM Joe McGrath to Hanrahan the goalie to calling the pizza man with your one and only phone call from prison, this film is a laugh a minute.

It was fitting that in 1998, Maxim magazine voted "Slap Shot" as the number one greatest Guy movie of all time.
.
Great lines:
McGrath - "There's scouts, in the stands, with contracts...and you guys are playing like *(@)#&*@!"
McGrath - "Piss on Eddie Shore"
Dunlop to Hanrahan - "Your wife.......she's a lesbian. I know, I know, she told me."
Dunlop - "She's a terrific gal."
.
2 - Rocky

.
Yeah, they overdid it. But, Rocky I was an all timer.

The story of the true underdog was brilliant. Sly Stallone was awesome in his role as Rocky Balboa but the movie became a classic due to the supporting cast.

The storyline of Rocky and Adrian didn't mean anything to me, but he performances of Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed), the Penguin, Burgess Meredith (Mickey), and Burt Young (Paulie) is what made the movie special.

That Creed's character so closely mimicked Muhammad Ali in his heydey, made it easier for viewers to relate to the film.

Great Lines:
Paulie - "I don't sweat you."
Balboa - "Cut me, Mick."
Balboa - "Yo, Adrian"
.
3 - Bull Durham
.

There have been many great baseball films, but this is the best.

Crash Davis and Ebby Calvin "Nuke" Laloosh are a perfect pair in this minor league story.

For me, this is Kevin Costner's best performance ever. Tim Robbins was perfect as his young protoge as the hard-throwing, erratic pitcher with a million dollar arm and a ten-cent head. Toss in Susan Sarandon as Annie Savoy for the obligatory love triangle, and the plot is complete.

Played by Robert Wuhl, the pitching coach character is one that stands out for me. If I'm going to a wedding, I'm giving candlesticks. This movie was going on my list just so I could type the word "lollygaggers".

To sum it up, a great movie about life in the minor leagues of baseball.
.
Great Lines:
Davis - "Just throw it at the bull, trust me."
Laloosh - "Don't think, Meat, just give him the gas."
Davis - "You have fungus on your shower shoes. In the show, that makes you colorful. In the minors, that means you're a slob."
.
4. Caddyshack
.

Rodney, Bill Murray, Ted Knight with his Billy Barool putter, Chevy Chase, Mr. Wang and the rest.
If you don't like this film, get back in touch with your therapist 'cuz this is too funny not to enjoy, over and over.

The over/under on quoting this film when on the golf course is 18 times per 18 holes.
.
Great Lines:
Rodney - Look at that hat. What, do they give you a free bowl of soup with that hat?"
Murray as Carl the assistant greenskeeper during a driving rainstorm - "I don't think the heavy stuff has come down yet."
Rodney - "You scratched my anchor."
Knight as Judge Smails - "I never slice."
.
5. Hoosiers
.

If ever an actor was made for a role, Gene Hackman was perfect to play Coach Norman Dale.
This story, taken from a real Indiana high school basketball Cinderella story, is the stuff that storybook sports dreams are made of.
The Hickory Huskers with slick shooting Jimmy Chitwood win the Indiana State Basketball title in improbable fashion. Coach Dale is nearly excused early in the season (insert Al Davis joke here. Go ahead, kick me when I'm down) during a town vote but survives.
Dennis Hopper turned in a classic performance as his role as Shooter, the on-again, off-again assistant coach of the team. The sight of him jumping hysterically after the championship game win is enough to bring a tear into the corner of a grown man's eye.
.
Great lines:
Norman Dale to an unsuspecting ref - "What, do you have pigeon #^&$ in your eyes? Kick me out of the game."
Shooter - "I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever played."
Shooter - "No school this small has ever won the Indiana State basketball championship."
.
.
The Best of the Rest:
.
6 - Bad News Bears I - Right in the middle of my little league career, minus the beer.


7 - Field of Dreams - Has to be on this list
.
8. Longest Yard I - Hated the remake, the original Mean Machine was much better.
.
9 - Raging Bull - DeNiro is my favorite actor, and neither Good Fellas or Midnight Run were sports movies.
.
10 - Brian's Song - The story of Brian Piccolo is a must-see.

No comments: